Friday, June 19, 2009

No Goodbyes

“Kamusta na?” you asked, as we nurse the cup of coffee in our hands in that coffee shop.

Two words, two simple words, asking me how I have been. Yet, I don’t know how to respond to that. Yeah, how have I been since the last day we met? I don’t know. Thinking about it now, it seems I just went with the motion of trying to live a life without you. It was all a blur.

But I do remember the last day we saw each other. I do remember it well because of the uncertainty of that moment. I know we’re about to part, I know it was the end, but no words were said about it. No goodbyes, no arguments that were a staple diet during our last days as a couple. You simply walked away. Then I turned my back and walked towards the opposite direction.

At the coffee shop last week, we catch up with our lives’ happenings. You seem to be doing fine, although you didn’t say a thing about that diamond ring on your finger, and I didn’t ask about it, fearing the answer I don’t want to hear.

And as we part ways about a couple of hours later, there was that uncertainty again. That uncertainty of what’s going to happen next. Before you turned and leave, I was able to ask you something.

“Can we meet again sometime?”

“Sure” you said with that familiar smile, “here’s my card. Call me.”

1 comment: